View Our Website View All Jobs

Public Policy and Research Scientist


We are focused on high-risk, high-reward research to reduce the prevalence of tobacco use in the United States, particularly among youth and young adults, and among groups that experience tobacco-related disparities. The Schroeder Institute at Truth Initiative is a multidisciplinary research group focused on reducing the disease burden of tobacco use behavior.


The Public Policy and Research Scientist's role is to assist Truth Initiative's leadership in conducting and coordinating science and policy-related research to help inform youth, young adult and disparities-related tobacco policy and practice. Public policy and research projects may also include areas such as: SI commissioned research studies, knowledge synthesis papers, convening strategic consensus meetings, and comments and other regulatory submissions focused on federal, state and local policy. In this role, you will lead and participate in internally and existing externally-funded projects, grants and contracts and supervise a team of staff involved in this work. You will provide scientific expertise on tobacco science and policy implications to Truth Initiative and to the broader tobacco control community.

  • Assume administrative responsibilities related to the coordination of Tobacco Policy and Research Science, including the management of outside vendors working on research projects that advance Truth Initiative's policy goals;

  • Supervise a team of staff involved in policy-related projects;

  • Manage relationships with advocacy, legal, policy, and scientific partners;

  • Serve as the lead for internal and external requests related to tobacco science, law, and policy and work closely with other Truth Initiative departments to coordinate efforts;

  • Facilitate strategic efforts to build SI's research in this area; and

  • Perform research to inform the regulation of tobacco products and other areas that align with the organizational mission and goals


You should have experience as a research scientist at the equivalent academic level of assistant or associate professor. You should also have experience using scientific evidence in the development and/or evaluation of public policy.  Experience in tobacco policy research is preferred but not required. You will have a doctorate in public health, economics, health policy, or other social science; have a strong record or demonstrated potential of scholarly research, including content-relevant peer-reviewed publications. You're an excellent scientist who embraces team science and who can develop an independent line of research that extends the mission of the Schroeder Institute at Truth Initiative.


Salary is competitive based on experience with EXCELLENT benefits.

Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter now 


mail application materials to:

Human Resources

Attn: Public Policy and Research Scientist

900 G Street, NW

Fourth Floor

Washington, DC  20001

Fax: (202) 454-5597

No telephone calls please.

All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability.

Read More

Apply for this position

Apply with
Attach resume as .pdf, .doc, or .docx (limit 5MB) or Paste resume

Paste your resume here or Attach resume file

To comply with government Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action reporting regulations, we are requesting (but NOT requiring) that you enter this personal data. This information will not be used in connection with any employment decisions, and will be used solely as permitted by state and federal law. Your voluntary cooperation would be appreciated. Learn more.

Invitation for Job Applicants to Self-Identify as a U.S. Veteran
  • A “disabled veteran” is one of the following:
    • a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or
    • a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
  • A “recently separated veteran” means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
  • An “active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran” means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
  • An “Armed forces service medal veteran” means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.
Veteran status

Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form CC-305
OMB Control Number 1250-0005
Expires 1/31/2020
Why are you being asked to complete this form?

Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities.i To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.

If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.

How do I know if I have a disability?

You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.

Disabilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Blindness
  • Deafness
  • Cancer
  • Diabetes
  • Epilepsy
  • Autism
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Schizophrenia
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Major depression
  • Multiple sclerosis (MS)
  • Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Obsessive compulsive disorder
  • Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
  • Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Please check one of the boxes below:

You must enter your name and date
Your Name Today's Date
Reasonable Accommodation Notice

Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.

iSection 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at

PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.