Internships at Truth Initiative!
Truth Initiative is currently searching for an energetic and COMMITTED individual for our Internship Program.
Could this be YOU?
Moving toward empowering the first generation to end smoking is more than just a job 'it's what motivates us every day. We're looking for a qualified individual who shares this spirit to participate in our internship program.
As a Truth Initiative intern, you'll gain practical knowledge on public health issues, real world professional experience, valuable workplace skills and general career guidance. You'll work hard, learn a lot and have fun, too.
If you are confident that your diligence and passion can affect change, we want to hear from you! Our semester-long internships are paid and available in the fall, spring and summer. Opportunities vary each semester, but are typically in the following areas of specialization: Marketing, Communications, Government Affairs, Human Resources, IT, Evaluation Science and Research, Youth Activism, and Community Youth & Engagement. Read below for more information!
How Long Will This Internship Last?
The duration of the internship varies depending on the semester. The fall and spring internships align with university academic semesters, while the summer internship runs from June to August. Fall and Spring Interns are requested to work between 15 to 20 hours a week, while summer interns may work up to a full-time schedule (37.5 hours). Interns are paid competitively (including a travel stipend) and are eligible to participate in the program for up to two semesters.
What Kind of Work Will I Do?
- As the Sales Intern for the Innovations team, you will be assisting with sales initiatives to help develop prospective new clients and partners for the EX Program. Your focus will be on providing digitally based tobacco cessation solutions to large employers and health plans. We are seeking an eager candidate interested in learning about SaaS selling and business development. You will have the opportunity to learn and participate in the entire business process from initial prospecting, assisting with meetings and presentations, developing proposals, contracting, and client management. The ideal candidate is someone pursuing an undergraduate degree related to business who is outgoing, competitive, proactive, and organized.
- The Innovations Intern will assist with research studies and project management for the team. Innovations is a team that focuses on developing new digital tools to help people quit tobacco use, ranging from mobile apps to full-service digital platforms, as well as conducting federally-funded research to learn best strategies for tobacco cessation. As an intern, you will participate in meetings with internal teams and external partners; assist with day-to-day project management; develop content for mobile apps, text message libraries, and websites; assist with research study recruitment and reimbursement; coordinate with other Truth Initiative departments; and conduct other administrative tasks to support day-to-day management of the department. Ideal candidates are upper-level undergraduate students or recent graduates with interests in digital technology development, behavioral science, and/or project management. Background in social sciences or public health is ideal for familiarity with the topic, but not required.
- The Marketing Intern will help with a variety of tasks that vary from week to week. In the past, interns have conducted background research on potential partners, artists, and collaborators; assisted the grassroots marketing team with truth tour logistics and organization; coordinated ticket giveaways; coordinated internal approvals for creative; and fulfilled administrative tasks needed to help keep the campaign moving and department functioning.
- As a Digital Marketing Intern,you’ll be in-the-know with all things pop culture with an interest to dig deeper to learn how digital marketing and analytics are directly correlated. This team player will assist with a variety of tasks such as conducting research and analyzing campaign performance to provide input to truth® campaigns. You’ll also be able to learn in detail what it takes to develop our popular campaigns by assisting in crafting our SMS and email communications with our vast audience. This includes assisting with building out the digital assets and understanding how to analyze performance metrics through numerous digital platforms we use. This ideal digital savvy and proactive team member will also assist with maintaining our website, thetruth.com. This would be an awesome position for someone who would like to become a digital marketing guru to start!
- The Communications Intern will assist in all aspects of the department and will be fully integrated into the Communications team. As an intern you will participate in team meetings and events as well as have opportunities to gain experience in supporting the team in a wide range of communications and administrative functions. Duties may include: writing press releases, drafting stories from our monthly newsletter, assembling press kits, researching media coverage, compiling reporter information, clipping/tracking media coverage, compiling clips reports, and assisting with in-house press conferences and events. Ideal candidates are current students pursuing their undergraduate degree in a related field.
- The Public Policy Intern will support the efforts of Truth Initiative's outreach with various governmental entities. This internship also provides opportunities to become familiar with the political process by way of Capitol Hill hearings, briefings, and delivering materials to congressional offices. Ideal applicants will have an interest in public health/public policy and a strong interest in government affairs work. Previous experience on Capitol Hill or similar experience is a plus, but not required.
- The Human Resources Intern will support Truth Initiative's Human Resources expertise center in various function areas and with special projects to broaden their knowledge of the HR function. They will assist with performance management projects, learn HRIS processes and assist in processing employee changes/updates, file/discard HR files and contracts consistent with Truth Initiative's document retention policy, read and understand Truth Initiative policies, procedures, and benefits to answer employee inquiries, and assist with updating benefits information into and HRIS. Ideal candidates are students currently pursuing an undergraduate degree with an interest in learning more about Human Resources as a profession.
- The Information Technology Intern's primary responsibility will be to respond to user questions and issues about PC's and provide Help Desk support. PC support responsibilities will include, but not be limited to installing new and upgrading computers for staff, assisting with staff moves, and resolving hardware and software problems. The intern will also provide project based support in areas of interest to IT. Ideal candidates are current students pursuing their undergraduate degree in the areas of Electrical or Systems Engineering; Computer Science, or Business Information Technology.
- Research Interns - The Schroeder Institute will either be contributing to the work of evaluating the truth campaign or assisting in other research efforts. Past tasks of interns assisting in the truth campaign have been conducting literature search for peer reviewed papers, assisting in searchers for campaign related information and data, testing online surveys used to evaluate the campaign and preparing results. Interns assisting with other research efforts have worked on producing codebooks for internal studies using in-house common codebook template, build repository of common survey measures in Qualtrics system, GeoCode FDA (Warning Letters & Passed Inspections), create GIS feature services for the Truth Initiative Tobacco Viewer, and Geotag weekly reported study participant locations. Ideal candidates are detail oriented, possess excellent communication skills, and can work independently as well as collaboratively with other departments and in a fast-paced environment. Current students pursuing their graduate degree in public health are preferred but undergraduate students will be considered. An interest in behavioral research and/or interest in tobacco control research is a plus.
- The Community and Youth Engagement (CAYE) Intern will support Truth Initiative's Community and Youth Engagement expertise center in various function areas and with special projects to broaden their knowledge of social justice, advocacy and community activism. The intern will be involved in various community initiatives such as National Partnerships, Tobacco Free College Program, truth Ambassador program, College & Community Leader programs. The intern will also be responsible for the execution of strategies related to promoting and dissemination of the CAYE youth activism materials, event planning, and data entry. Ideal candidates are undergraduate students with a demonstrated interest in community activism, social justice, public health education and health promotion. Applicants pursuing a degree in public health or business administration, marketing, political science, economic, or related fields are preferred.
What Kind of Background Do I Need?
Intern candidates are current students pursuing their undergraduate degree (graduate students are only considered for internships with our research teams). A passionate interest in public health or tobacco control is a plus. Experience working on multiple tasks and projects in a fast paced environment is essential.
So what's in this for me?
Do I get paid? YES!
Will the work schedule be flexible? YES!
Will I be able to contribute to positive change in the lives of millions? Absolutely! The rewards are more than what can fit on this page!
So what's stopping you? Apply today!
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, resume and be prepared to answer a few questions about your interest
Mail your resume with a cover letter letting us know why you want an internship at Truth Initiative. Mail your application to:
Attn: Truth Initiative Internship Program
900 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Fax: (202) 454-5597
No telephone calls please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability.